The Order of Preachers came to Viet Nam in 1550 when Fr. Gaspar de Santa Cruz set on Ha Tien, the far-southern land of the country.
However, it was not until the establishment of the Province of the Most Holy Rosary in the Philippines in 1587 that the Dominican friars officially started their evangelization among the Lac Hong people.
The Dominican mission spread well in the five northern dioceses, namely Thai Binh, Bui Chu, Bac Ninh, Hai Phong, and Lang Son.
Due to the historic event of Viet Nam in 1954, the Dominican leaving everything behind moved to the south where they restarted their work from the beginning.
On March 18, 1967, the Dominican Province of Queen of Martyrs was founded. Since 1975, the Dominican mission has been active again in north-Viet Nam.
Dominican presence of around 360 friars both in pastoral work and in the task of formation of religious and priests can be witnessed in Sai Gon, Xuan Loc, Da Lat, Phu Cuong, Can Tho, Da Nang, Vinh, Thai Binh, Bui Chu, Hai Phong, Bac Ninh, Hung Hoa, and Lang Son.